Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Minnesota Trip Indian Okra and Rhubarb Cake Globe Dog Erik Bendi

Hello there to all my foodie friends out there in webland.  Its MadJon again and we are here to talk about Minnesota and some food.  We just got back from the wonderful state of 10,000 lakes and boy do they have them.  While we were on our way to do some much needed fishing I spyed a man walking along the highway pushing a very large world globe and walking with a dog.  I wanted to stop and talk and get a picture but of coarse my hubby was to busy getting to the fishing however I found out that he is walking for charity to raise awareness about diabetes and his name is Erik Bendi and if you would like to know more about him just goggle him.  Way to go Erik!!!  It was a amazing trip with the food that I tasted like at Bobbie's Kitchen, I ate their Fried Cheese Curds and the coating tasted just like a donut, yum.  We ate smokin B.B.Q. at Vegas Lou's, in Lebanon Junction, K.Y.  We ate at the Grand View Lodge in Nisswa, MN.  It was family style atThe Italian Gardens Trattoria and I understand that Oprah Winfrey was there a couple of weeks ago to attend a wedding.  Great food there.  We ate from the South end to the North end and in between.  We ate at Sue Clark's house and what a great cook she is.  It is her recipe for Rhubarb Cake that I will be giving you with a couple of changes.  The Okra recipe comes from Michael who owns The Plum Pudding in Aiken.  We also ate some thick bacon that came from Thieles Meat Market that you can order on line and I heard that Oprah and M.S. buy Bacon from them.  Am just sayin.  Did you know that they drink Pepsi up there and also have something called a "Minnesota Minnow Shot" and no am not brave enough to try one of them.  They do talk like the Fargo movie and I loved the accent and how friendly everyone is.  They have what they call hot dish and spam is the Minnesota meatloaf and say things like pop, you bet'cha, and Don'cha know.  Anywho if you ever get a chance to visit up I highly recommend the trip.  Take your fishing pole and some spray for the bugs that do bite a little bit.  Anywho that is my trip to Minnesota and on with the recipes for you all.

Indian Okra

3 T. Butter
1 Onion, chopped
1 pound fresh Okra, sliced
1/2 teas. ground Cumin
1/2 teas. ground Ginger
1/2 teas. ground Coriander
1/4 teas. Black Pepper
1/2 teas. Cayenne Pepper
1 Fresh Pimento Pepper, chopped
Salt to taste
Bacon Bits (Optional)

Melt butter in a pan and add chopped onions and pimento, cook till clear.  Add okra, spices and cook till nice and browned.  Top with bacon bits if you wish.

Rhubarb Cake

1 Yellow Cake Mix
4 cups chopped Rubard
1 cup Sugar
1 Pint Whipping Cream
1 teas. Cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Pre heat oven to 350 degress and bake cake at about 55 minutes.  Need a 9"-13" pan and spray with oil.  Now mix cake according to directions but add the cinnamon to the cake mix.  Pour cake into pan, add the rhubarb, pour the sugar on top of that and then pour the whipping cream on top of that.  Then bake for about 55 minutes or until done.

I hope that you have enjoyed your trip with us today and  please try the recipes and I love hearing from everyone.  Send me some recipes to try or if you have any questions about a recipe please email me at madjon51@aol.com and visit my TV show at the aikenstandard.com ASTV 95 Cooking With Madjon and Friends.  Visit me on facebook.  Happy trails to you and yours until we meet again, Happy Eatting to you all.  Eileen F Hutson, MadJon.

No comments:

Post a Comment