Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Hero's and Eatting Home Made Pop Tarts Okey Doekey

Hello to all my foodies friends out there in webland I hope all is well with you and yours.  We are here to talk a little about our state of affairs here in the USA and we will talk about that wonderful breakfast food called a Pop Tart, but is it just for breakfast?  Mine are home made and everyone loves them down here in SC and people also love them in the DC area there on 9th street.  However we are getting ahead of ourselves.  This is the 10th annivarsary of 9/11, which I really don't have to remind anyone of that today of all days but I do want you to know that when I think of that day many things come to mind.  One thing is the tears that come to my eyes when I remember the scenes on TV and I remember the fear I had when I could n't get a hold of our son Chris who lives in DC and also lived across from the pentagon in a building that the airplane that went into the building had flown right over him.   It was a long day for us here in SC and all over the states before we heard from our loved ones that they were safe.  That said I will always remember and pray for the lives lost in 9/11 and the lives of our 9/11 generation that loses their lives everyday fighting for our freedom and the freedom around the world.  The freedom that I have isn't mine because I deserve it, its mine because someone fought and died for that freedom so please let us try and work together to keep that freedom and that means from the North, South, East, and West of these United States I say let's all fight to keep freedom in our land for the future generations of Americans that will someday have to stand up and be as strong as our generations past.  I say thanks to all of you who serve our nation for the freedom that we have.  What happened on 9/11 may have shaken us but it did not defeat us.  Our tears are still falling and the bell is still ringing but I say God Bless to all the fallen Hero's from our past generations and the Hero's of our future generations.   I hope they hear the freedom bell ringing.  I will never forget! Let freedom ring.
Am heading on another subject for now and its called the wonderful Pop Tart that my children loved and now my grandchildren love.  They are made by Kellogg and introduced to us in 1963 and they are made to pop in the toaster as a breakfastfood, however that said we were in DC last November to visit Chris and we ate at a resturant  that serves pop tarts as a dessert and man were they good.  So I decided to do them for one of my TV shows,"Cooking With Madjon and Friends".  I made the filling as well but you don't have to you can get a pie-filling or use a jam that you like.  I also made them today for a wedding brunch we attended here in the neighborhood.   I made some Cherry filling and a Chocolate Chips with Hazelnuts, mum, mum. Recipe Follows:

Crust for Pop Tarts:  Serves 12

4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1 Stick Butter, softened
2 1/4 cups All-purpose Flour,shifted
1 tsp. Salt
1 egg
3 T. Milk
3 T. Sugar

Filling your choice

Icing:

1 cup confectionary Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Water or Milk

Cream butter and cream cheese together till blended.  Add flour, sugar, salt and blend with butter and cheese.  Then add the egg and mix, add the milk and stir to foam a ball.  Dust with light flour. Roll into about 12 balls the same size.  Then roll out each ball on a flour surface, fill with jam or fruit and turn to ends and press with a fork to seal.  Spray pan and place in a pre-heated oven for about 20 mins at 375 degrees or until brown.  If you wish you may brush the tops with a beaten egg before baking.  Let cool.  Make icing by placing sugar in a bowl, add the Vanilla and water or milk and stir until blended.  Ice the Pop Tarts.  If the icing is to thin just add more sugar to the mix and enjoy!  These taste great!

Please visit my fan page on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/CookingwithMadjon and watch the TV show at http://www.aikenstandard.com/, ASTV 95, "Cooking With Madjon and Friends".  Write me at madjon51@aol.com if you have any questions about cooking or my recipes.  Send me recipes to try on TV and for my blog if yu wish.  If you have a recipe that isn't working for you please forward ti to me and I will tryo help you.  Hope you enjoy this blog and God Bless to you and yours.  Happy trails to you until we meet again.  Eileen F. Hutson, MadJon.

No comments:

Post a Comment