Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Minnesota American Indian Wild Rice With Mushrooms WOW!

Hello to all my foodie friends out there in webland I want to said a big hello to you all.  Its labor day and I hope you all enjoyed your grilling out with family and friends.  I spent the day shopping with a friend for the household items we both needed to get.  I hate to shop but it is more fun with a friend but however that said, I seem to spend more money with a friend. Well my hubby will just have to get over it after all it was for the house.  I bought dishes for the TV show and linens for the house.  Then we all went to dinner.  So anywho let's talk about Minnesota again a little bit.  The wild rice we bought is not cultivated rice it grows wild right there near the waters in Minnesota.  It is harvested by the local Indians and locals and is state regulated as to how it is harvested.  It is still hand harvested in the traditional indian way by taking a canoe with one pole for power and two rice beater sticks to knock the seeds into the canoe. Boy, I call that the hard way to go. Did you know that its not really a rice its a grain and is called water grass seed, zizania and  that is what am told anywho by the locals.  Interesting it seems that is how their fathers did it and so on and so on.  Neat how they keep that up.  Anywho I made some for my hubby and I the other night and made up the reicpe for all of us so here it is:

Wild Rice

1 Cup Wild Rice
2 1/2 Cups Water or Chicken Broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 T. Butter
1 pound fresh Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teas. dried Thyme
1/2 teas. dried Rosemary
1 teas. Onion Powder
1 Onion, chopped
4 fresh garlic gloves, minced
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

Melt the butter in a pan, add to that onions, garlic, mushrooms, and cook till clear. and add rice,stir . Then add the spices, water or broth, soup and anything I forgot to meantion, lol.   Then pour into a greased pan  and bake in a pre-heated oven at about 350 degrees for about an hour of until the broth has reduced and stir.  It should be creamy.

My hubby loved this recipe and he says it had alot of flavor and texture.  Its meaty as I call it.  Please email me with any questions at madjon51@aol.com.  I enjoy hearing from everyone.  Send me recipes to try if you wish and come like my fan page on facebook called Cooking With Madjon and Friends, come on in and join the fun.  Watch my TV show on the web at aikenstandard.com ASTV 95.  I hope you all have a safe and happy week to you and yours.  Happy trails to you and yours until we meet again.  Thanks its been a pleasure.  Oh am still looking for TV sponsors out there in webland.  Eileen Hutson, MadJon.

No comments:

Post a Comment