Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Old Time Recipe Comfort Buttermilk Corn Bread Baked or Not

Hello foodies it's MadJon again coming your way from a busy week trying to play catch up and tonight on my menu is some good old Ham Hocks with Pinto Beans and Rice being served up the Southern way which is where half of my roots come from.  I must be thin kin Southern with the foods I've made over the last few days with Fried Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes, and Lima Beans and yes Baked Corn Bread.  I could have fried the corn bread but that's a different recipe which contains just, cornmeal, flour, salt, and boil in water.  Hot oil to fry the Patty's in until they are nice and browned on both sides, we usually have fried corn bread in the summer when we eat home grown tomatoes, gravy and serving it up with thick Bacon, nothing better to eat and I can't forget to cut the sweet onion with it.  The corn bread dipped in gravy or with butter and jam or honey, man it makes my mouth water, are you watering yet?  When we started our first season of the Cooking With MadJon and Friends show my cost host Chef and I were making some baked Corn Bread and I taught her a trick about how to make the corn bread nice and crispy on the outside, I love it that way, nice and crusty.  Any who you take the skillet and add about 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and place it in a pre-heated oven on 425 degrees.  You let it get hot and you pour the mixed batter into the hot pan and it make it sizzle and you will get a great crusty outside on your corn bread nothing better.  If you all like muffins you can use the muffin pan and add a little oil to it, heat it and pour your batter and bake it the same way.  Any who this is how my dad taught me to make corn bread only he liked only white corn meal and I like yellow corn meal.  He also didn't like sugar in his corn bread but I do that part is optional for you.  This also is my own recipe.  My dad used to make buttermilk Corn Bread and eat it hot with buttermilk poured over it.  He would eat the whole pan I never could bring myself to even down buttermilk but both my parents drink it for upset stomach's.  I can't see how anything soured could help your stomach but hey yogurt does and I eat that for my breakfast every morning, its the thing to do.








Buttermilk Corn Bread

2 cups Corn Meal
3/4 cup Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 cup Sugar
1 Stick melted Butter
2 Eggs Beaten
1 to 1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk, depends on what corn meal you use

Pre-heat oven 425 degrees and grease your skillet and heat.  Melt your butter.  Mix all the dry ingredients together and add the butter, eggs, and buttermilk and \mix well.  Pour into the heated skillet and bake for about 30 minutes or until done.

I hope you give this recipe a try and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at madjon51@aol.com and watch the TV shows at aikenstandard.tv and come like my fan page at Cooking With MadJon and Friends on face book.  Happy trails to you until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment