Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

How to Cook a Bagged Thanksgiving Turkey with Apple Wine Sauce

Hello to all my foodie friends out in web land hope all is well.  Madjon here and today we are going to talk about bagging a roasted turkey for one of your holiday meals.  Personally I like Turkey, roasted and fried.  I like the crispness of the turkey when it's fried and I use a rub on it before I fry it.  I have a blog on making a fried turkey you should go visit it.   Any who am shooting with the Watchmen Channel 49 out of North Augusta today and we will be cooking up some Turkey Panini Sandwiches with fresh cranberry sauce and dressing served on Sour Dough Bread.  It's one of the recipes in my MadJon Holiday e-cookbook for ipads.  You know I don't know when they started serving Turkey as a Thanksgiving Day food.  The pilgrims started a very good holiday I think way back in the 1600's.  Am very thankful that they came to this country and were brave enough to make a living here.  You know the Native American Indians helped out the pilgrims by introducing new foods and ways to live in this country for that am very thankful as well.  After all I'm half Native American Indian.  I could get into how the Indians lost there lands to the white man as they were called.  My grandmother lived on a reservation in Oklahoma and married my grandfather on a river boat in Tennessee.  There is Native American Indian on both sides of my family.  Both grandmothers had Indian blood in them.  Any who that's a story for another day.  Let's get you a couple more recipes and make sure that you watch the show on TV or on the web.  Please contact me at madjon51@aol.com with any questions about these recipes or a recipe that you may need some help with.  Watch my tv shows at aikenstandard.tv or aikenstandard.com.  Bona Y'all and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.  Happy trails to you until we meet again. 

Roast Turkey With Wine Apple Sauce

1 roasting bag with a small hole cut into the top
1 12 to 15 pound Turkey, patted dry
1 stick Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T.  Onion Powder
1 T. Dried Rosemary
3 Apples cut and cored
3 sticks Celery cut in 3" lengths
1 bunch green onions

Mix butter and all dry ingredients together and rub on the inside and outside of the turkey.  Stuff the apples and celery with the green onions into the turkey and on the sides of the turkey after you place it into the roasting bag.  Pour the wine sauce over the turkey. Cut a small hole on the top of the bag to release the air while cooking.  Place turkey in a pre-heated oven for till it reaches a temp of about 170 degrees or until done.  It takes ab9ut 20 minutes of cooking time per pound.

Apple Wine Sauce

1 cup white wine
3 T. Butter
1/2 jar Apple Jelly
1 tsp. Onion Powder

Place all ingredients in a pan and simmer until it is reduced, pour over the turkey.  Cool and cook with turkey.








No comments:

Post a Comment