Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Summers Lady Fingers in the color of Green Garden Okra

Well hello to all my foodie Friends out there in web land its MadJon again and am hoping that you had a great 4th of July, I've had a busy one so far.  Am doing more computer work and now  have about 20 recipes left to upload from the cooking shows left for this season and then I will be just about all caught up.  Am taking a couple of weeks off and I can catch up with all my work and then it builds back up again really fast, funny how that works, isn't it.  Well so far I wrote two articles for the newspaper and I've written a couple of blogs, then today I got another audio cooking show up for the radio station called Martin Christean Radio and they have started adding some of my shows for their listeners in the mornings and I think they have added a couple other cooking shows on there as well.  So am excited about that.  My show season has just about ended for filming this season and I have some holiday shows we will be doing after summer ends and we will be changing up the 5th season the show somehow maybe do less dishes in one sitting am not sure what they have in mind.  Any who am going to try and stay busy with cooking and writing more food articles.  Tonight we will be talking about that wonderful summer vegetable grown mostly in the South called Okra.  We are growing it in our garden again this year and it loves to grow in really hot weather however this has been a very weird year for weather.  Not as hot as it usually is down here in the South, its been really pleasant but a little wet is all.  Any who the Okra is still growing allot.  I hope you do know that Okra needs to be picked when it is about 5" inches long and still tender.  Did you know that during the civil war they dried the Okra seeds and ground them up to use for coffee.  Also that in some countries they make rope out of Okra, interesting.  However most people just think of Okra as being just plain slimy!  However some people like it that way.  I like it just about anyway you can cook it.  Every year I try to make up a new recipe for Okra and this year I removed the seeds from the pods and added some pepper Jack cheese with pineapple slices stuffed in the pod  and wrapped Bacon around the Okra and added a sauce brushed on them and then baked them in the oven.  Any who this is deli'sh and I think you should give it a try and not a slimy part could be found.  Okra is a natural thickener and also is good for the heart and intestines. Recipe follows


Pepper Jack Cheese Pineapple Stuffed Okra wrapped in Bacon

 

12 Okra Pods with seeds removed

12 pieces of Pepper Jack Cheese

12 pieces of fresh Pineapple

12 slices of cooked Bacon

Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauce:

¼ cup Cooking Sherry

¼ cup Oil

1 tsp. Onion Powder

1 tsp. Garlic Powder

Place the cheese and pineapple into the pod body and wrap the pod with bacon with a tooth pick in the middle to hold the bacon.  Mix the sauce and brush onto the okra pods and bake in a pre-heated oven on 375 for about 15 minutes covered.  Then uncover the okra for about 10 more minutes of baking time.  Serve Hot.




 
Happy trails to you until we meet again.  Watch the show at aikenstandard.tv and come like my fan page on face book at Cooking With Madjon and Friends.  E-mail me at madjon51@aol.com with any questions, Bona Y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment