Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Lemon Juice Potato Salad and Allen


 Lemon Juice Potato Salad and Allen

 

Hello foodies out there in web land I hope our summer is full of sunshine, laughter, and love.  It’s a Saturday and we are traveling back home from visiting relatives in Texas and am trying to catch up on writing my recipes from the rest of the TV shows I owe the web workers at the TV station and I ran across one that reminded me of my brother Allen, his the one that taught me how to use Lemon juice instead of vinegar in my Potatoes Salads among other uses for the fresh taste of lemons in food.  Any who I got a phone call when I lived in West Virginal from my brother Allen and he would call me periodically just to check in and tell me where he was or if he needed money he always called and then I’d call my other sisters and anyone with extra money would send it his way.  This time he called to talk about a few things like, he had just been run over by a car and had to have surgery on is leg and that he needed money to get back to our mom in Tulsa where she lived at the time. 
Any way he died in 2004 a month before my older sister died any who that’s another story.  He always seemed to have a black cloud follow him around if he was around he was either in jail for some reason or another or got hurt he didn’t have one of the best lives in the world, well you get the picture.  We spent a lot of time together  whenever he would come around and we used to cook together  making potatoes salad and BBQ was one of his things. He never let anyone go hungry if he could help it and he always took up for little kids.  If one of them were hurt or needed anything he’d go help them.  He spent good times with his nieces and nephews they only have fond memories of him.  Yea he did have a drug problem among other things.  Any who I wanted to tell you the story of his death.   In January of 2004 I was in Tampa on a business trip with my husband and found out my brother was there in the hospital and went to see him and they made me wear a mask and gloves he didn’t look good then however I walked in and he looked thin and sick and he just says hi, Ms. Hutson, like he always did, he was surprised to see me any who the Doctors told me that he would live this time and not to worry so in February we got another call and off to Tampa again this time he was in the VA hospital and he looked really bad, I didn’t know who he was and when we had to leave him I wanted to transfer him to Augusta but they wouldn’t do it I blamed it on my sister not wanting to see him.   Any way he died about a month later all by himself but he didn’t have a family member with him but he had God, the day he died our mom had emergency surgery we were at the hospital with her for hours but before she went into surgery my niece was crying and standing at my mom’s bed and she asked Sam not to cry because God told her that she would be OK because God was going to send a guardian angle to be with her though the surgery and that guardian was my brother.  While my mom was in surgery and we were n the waiting room my brother in law called and said that. The VA called and said that Allen had died. When my mom wake up from surgery we didn’t tell her about our brother and about a week later her youngest grandchild came to see her in the hospital and Candy was sitting by her bed, mother said I want to tell you a story Candy, did you know that  that your Uncle Allen is dead, I know because he came to see me in surgery, he was hovering above me and was crying and he said I’ve been sent to tell you how sorry I’m for hurting you and to tell you for the first time in my life am happy.  She said, if you are happy why are you cryng and he said because I’ve never felt so much love before and he said your going to be OK  am going to stay with you until you get out of surgery.  I want you to know that I love you.  I don’t have to worry if his safe or hungry or has a dry place to lay his head.  The last words he said to me was am worth more then a grain of salt.  The only dream I had of Allen was him looking well with his arm around my grandson with a big smile on his face.  To you all I wish much happiness in this life.  God Bless and Happy trails to you until we meet again





Potato’s                                                 5 Pound White, Peeled Diced, boiled

Eggs                                                      6-8 Eggs, diced

Salt and Pepper                                     to taste

Onion, diced                                           ¼ Cup

Sugar                                                      ¼ Cup

Sweet Pickle Relish                                2/3 Cup

Lemon Juice                                           ¼ Cup

Mayo or Salad Dressing                         1 ½ cups

Yellow Mustard                                        2 tsp.

Onion Powder                                          1 ½ tsp.

Garlic Powder                                           1 ½ tsp.

Celery                                                       3 Stocks, diced

 

 

 

DIRECTIONS

 

Peel potato’s and place in a pan of salted water.  Put your eggs on the boil for about 20 minutes, depending on where you live.  While your potato’s and eggs are cooking mix up the mayo, mustard, sugar, spices, pickle relish, onion as well, and lemon juice and set it aside while the potato’s are cooking.  When your eggs are cooked peel them as soon as possible.  Then when your potato’s are ready add the celery, and your salt and pepper while they are hot because it will pick up your flavors better that way.  Mix all your ingredients and cool before serving.  Bona Y’all.


 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment