Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Enchiladas Is There Anything Better To Eat?


Hello to all my foodies friend out there in web land, hope all is well this fine January day.  One of the best comfort foods I can think of is a Enchilada to eat.  I remember in Houston when Monterrey House Mexican Food was still around and we used to go and eat a Hugh plate of Enchiladas rice, beans and Guacamole salad was the thing to eat.  I would have liked a beer with it but I wasn't old enough for that. Instead I settled for tea and the tea comes unsweet in Texas just FYI.  Am the one in the front middle in the white top and Sherrie is holding my son.  We were home in January and my sister-in-law Rhonda and I usually make Enchiladas for one of the dinners and again she didn't save the recipe, however this time I wrote it down and am going to be passing that on to you all.  We made Cheese and Chicken Enchiladas, however I wasn't there would she made her Enchiladas.  The name for my dish is called Enchiladas de Queso and what my sister-in-law made is called Enchilada de Pollo, kind of.  She boiled her chicken in water with onion and celery till it was tender, seasoned with salt and pepper.  She then shredded the chicken and then rolled the chicken in the Flour Tortillas.  Then she mixed Rot-tel tomatoes with green chili's with a can of Cream of Chicken Soup, 1 cup Chicken Broth and Velveeta cheese melted into the mix.  Then she added some sour cream mixed in as well and poured it over the chicken.  It was good.  You could also add some cheese like Monterrey Jack or Cheddar mixed in the chicken before you roll it.  Mexican Cookery is easy to do and not to bad on the pocket book.  Now when I made the Cheese Enchiladas I heated the corn Tortillas in alittle oil lightly on both sides, however you can use the Sauce to dip them in as well but don't leave them in the sauce to long they will fall apart.  We used a whole package of corn tortillas for this recipe but we doubled the recipe.  You can also use different types of cheese, like Monterrey's Jack or Cheddar Cheese.  You also can mix onion diced finely with the cheese or even peppers.  You also always top the Enchiladas with shredded cheese. 

Enchiladas de Queso

3 TBSP Oil
1/2 Onion Diced, optional 1/2 onion finely diced for cheese mix
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Onion and Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste, remember salt brings out the flavor in foods.
2 TBSP Chili Powder
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1/2 tsp. Chipotle Powder
3 TBSP Flour
1 can Tomatoes Sauce
3 TBSP Tomatoes Paste
2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 cups shredded Cheese

Heat oil in pan and add the onion and garlic, cook till clear.  Then mix the flour with all the spices, salt, pepper, onion, garlic powders, oregano, paprika, and chipotle powder.  Then toss that into the pan with the onions and garlic.  Then slowly add the chicken broth.  Add the tomato's paste and sauce and blend.  Cook until smooth, like a very thin gravy, pourable.   Heat your corn tortillas in oil lightly and fill with the cheese and onions and roll.  Pour half your mixture into oblong pan and then top the enchiladas with the sauce and top with shredded cheese and bake at about 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles.  If you use more then 1/2 package of tortillas then double the recipe, or they will be to dry and cover the pan with foil if it looks like its getting to brown.

Enjoy this true Mexican dish with friend.  I will be bringing you more de'lish dishes from the wonderful Southwest.  I will be starting my fourth season of the Cooking With MadJon and Friends TV show next week and I will keep you all posted and go view it at the Aiken Standard web page.  The last one we did was on BBQ with the host from the BBQ Shop Talk chefs.  You can still buy my e-cookbook on Itunes MadJon Holiday.  Happy trails to you until we meet again.



No comments:

Post a Comment