Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Let's Make Some South Carolina Seafood Stew

Well hello to all my foodies friends out there in web land.  Its been awhile since I've posted a blog due to family matters and just plain life as we call it.  I have been working in the Garden which is doing very well with all the rain that the Carolin es has been getting.  There is nothing better then home grown garden.  We planted Okra, Tomatoes, a lot of different varieties, eggplant, cukes, watermelons, cantaloupe, herbs, onions, and even artichokes.  I think we placed a squash plant or two.  Did you know that to keep producing your squash you need to check under the leaves for eggs and remove them, a moth comes and lays eggs on your leafs and then you get the bugs that eat the plants from inside out.  One day it looks great and the next day it looks flat on the ground.  We have been checking our leafs.  This is our second year of planting this garden.  I bought in Chicken poop last year.  However I added more this year with lime, and Epsom salt.  I use Epsom's salt with our house plants as well every year.  I will be sending out some more garden shots when I blog again to let you see how its growing.  Last year we grew corn and it was wonderful but it does take up alot of room.  This year I plan on doing some pickles for my hubby.  I will also make some pickled Okra this year.  Have you tried dried Okra, its wonderful.  Not alot of calories there, boy howdy.  I love this time of year yesterday on the shoot I made some peach crisp for dessert and I used the peaches I had frozen last year and they were FAB.  I will be freezing more this year.  If anyone has any garden questions or even have any advice for me on gardening come right ahead and email me at madjon51@aol.com.  Love to hear from you all.  Forward some recipes for me to try.  I have be given wine to try and grits from my fans and I still have to use the grits and I say thanks so much for all the goodies.  Someone sent me a cheese board, which I have used a few times.  I never mind trying out products for anyone. Please come like my fan page on FB at Cooking With Madjon and Friends.  Come watch the TV show at http://www.aikenstandard.com/  ASTV 95.  Am busy today cooking for a birthday party so I need to make this quick.  I made up this recipe for some fish that I had left over from last season and it was to small to fry or toss in a pan so this is what I ended up with.  It has all the things I like to eat in a stew.  Enjoy and Bona Y'all.

Seafood Stew

Butter, 1/2 stick
Onion, 1 small, diced
Fresh Garlic, 4 cloves, minced
Flour, 3 TBSP
Celery, diced, 1 Cup
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bay Leafs, 2 whole not crushed
Potato's, 5 large, diced
Water, to top off potato's in a pan
Carrots, 3 diced
Parsley, 1/2 cup chopped
Chicken Bouillon Cubes, 4
Mrs's Dashes, 2 tsp.
Old Bay, 1 tsp
Onion and Garlic Powder, 1 tsp. each.
Fish, 1/2 pound, cut
Shrimp, 1 pound, raw
Half and Half, 2 cups

Melt the butter in a pan and add to that the onion, celery, and garlic.  Saute till clear in color.  Then add your flour and stir.  Then add some water, stir.  Then start adding your spices like, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, Mrs's Dashes,  Ole Bay and Bay leafs.  Then add your peeled potatoes, diced and carrots.  Add the chicken bouillon and bring to a boil.  Add more water to top the potato's if needed.   When the vegetables are tender then you add the fish and shrimp.  Then add the half and half and cook the stew on low for about 10 to 15 more minutes.  If you don't cook the stew on low it will burn your stew.

Well this is it for this blog and please give a try.  I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do.  Serve it with some corn bread muffins and some cheese on top for serving.  Bacon nice as well.  Happy trails to you until we meet again.  Eileen Hutson, MadJon.

No comments:

Post a Comment