Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Zuppa di Fagioli con la "Pasta Italian Bean Soup"

Hello to all you foodies out there in web land its me again and I hope all is well with you and yours.  Let's take a trip to a little bistro in Italy to eat some Zuppa, Yum.  My friend Caroline went to NY this summer and said that she had the most amazing soup.  She ate it at an Italian eatery in NY.  She asked me if I could try and make her some and I asked her if she could tell me what was in it.  All she could tell me was that it had white beans and noodles in it.  It was topped with fresh Parmesan cheese.  So I was off on my search to find the best soup in the world according to Caroline.  I searched up and down and all around and finally found what I was looking for, sort of speak.  I found a recipe in my book but the ingredients didn't trill me.  So off to the kitchen to add my own little touch to the recipe.  Something that would please Caroline's Palette and the soup that she could not live without!  So I went to work at the cafe kitchen and added alittle of this and that.  The end result had my customers licking the bottom of the bowls.  It was the BOMB as they call it.  You too can have your guest licking the bottoms of the bowls.  I sent some home with Caroline and Norm and they said I hit the nail on the head!  Recipe as follows:

Zuppa

1 package white beans
4 1/2 cups Chicken broth
4 cups Water
1 pound smoked ham chopped
1/2 pound salt pork
1 large onion
3 stalks celery
1 green bell pepper chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
salt pepper to taste
1 T. onion powder
1 T. garlic powder
1 1/2 Teas. oregano
2 teas. basil
2 bay leafs
8 ozs. Italian white cheese
1 1/2 cups cream added last to soup
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese as topper
2 Cups Cooked Pasta, small shells

This recipe serves 10-12 servings.  Cook beans with water and chicken broth, then add all chopped ingredients.  Add meats, seasonings and bring to boil.  Simmer till beans are tender.  Cook the pasta according to directions then rinse noodles when done and add to beans with the cream and cheese.  Simmons for about 10 mins. and when ready  serve topped with Parmesan cheese, a salad and bread.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do and our friends.  Please email me with any questions at madjon51@aol.com.  Send me some recipes to try on TV. You may also watch by going to http://www.aikenstandard.com/ Cooking With Madjon on ASTV95.   Happy trails to you until we meet again.  Hope you are enjoying the cold weather that we seem to be having and stay safe and warm.  Thanks, Eileen Hutson, madjon.

No comments:

Post a Comment