Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Italian Braised English Short Ribs With Red Wine Sauce YUM YUM

Hello to all my foodie friends out there in web land its MadJon again and am so happy to be back home with you on a working computer.  It was shut down for a while but our trusty computer man came out yesterday and fixed our poor little puppy.  I hope that you are all having a great start to 2014.   I have been sick with a bad cold and its still with me.  Now my hubby is down with it.  He sounds a lot worse then I did.  I have been off the computer for about three weeks now so am trying to remember even how to get my fingers to run across this thing called a key board. However they seem to remember which way to work the keys in a timely manner.  I have lots to catch up on with blogging some new recipes that were made while I was on the ranch.  While I was at my sister-in-laws house I made some short ribs for them and am going to call them Italian Short Ribs.  They take about 4 hours to cook because you want them nice and tender.  I made a English Cut Short rib and short ribs of coarse come from the rib cage of the steer.  I think these probable came from ribs five though twelve and they were cut from the rib plates as butchers call them.  I sent my hubby and Blaise to go buy the ribs for me and they kept calling me wanting to have the fat cut off the ribs and I told them NO that is where the flavor comes from my goodness that is what happens when you send thin men to go buy food!  My hubby's always watching my weight!  Its not like I eat the things everyday just once a year and if I want to eat the fat once a year that's what am going to do.  Any who they still had some of the fat cut off so I had thinner short ribs.   Anyway we will be braising these ribs and that means they will cook in a covered liquid. Also when you cook with wine you should cook with wine that you would drink.

 
 
Italian Braised English Short Ribs In Red Wine Sauce
 
 
3 Pounds Short Ribs
2 cans Diced Tomatoes
1 Bag Carrot Hearts
4 Ribs Celery, diced
2 Onions Diced
1 Bag Shallots, diced
1/2 Bunch Italian Parsley chopped
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 teas. Tarragon
1 teas. Marjoram
2 Bay Leaves whole
1 Bottle Red Wine
3 to 4 cups Beef Broth
Olive Oil for searing ribs
 
Dry your ribs and heat olive oil in a pan for searing the ribs.
 
Rub
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 TBSP Onion & Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Sweet Basil Leaves
 
Mix all ingredients and rub it on the ribs and then heat your oil and drop some of the diced shallots and garlic in the oil with some of the chopped parsley and sear the ribs for aobut 6 minutes on both side.  Then remove the ribs and place them in a roasting pan.  Take the drippings from the ribs seared in the pan and pour some of the wine into it and bring it to a simmer and then reserve and pour the sauce over the short ribs before braising. Then add the rest of the red wine, Tomatoes, spices, diced celery, all ingredients and beef broth to the ribs.
 
Pre-heat your oven to about 500 degrees and place your seared short ribs in a pan and add the diced onions and parsley if there is any left into the pan.  Place the carrots in the pan and pour your wine and beef broth on top of the ribs.  Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes and then cover the ribs and reduce your oven to about 325 degrees and bake for about another 2 and a half hours.  Remove liquid and leave the ribs in the pan in the oven for another half hour.  Pour the liquid into a pan and reduce it then pour the sauce back over the ribs and serve.  I hope you give these ribs a try and write me at madjon51@aol.com if you have any questions or recipes that you may want to share.  Watch the TV show at aikenstandard.tv Cooking With MadJona nd Friends.  If you are on Face Book come give me a like on my fan page.  Happy trails to you until we meet again.  Try and stay warm out there  will ya.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment