Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mothers Day to All Mothers Make Apple Spice Cake



Hello to all my foodie friends out there in web land hope you all had a very nice Mother's Day I know I did.  I went shopping with my daughter and granddaughter and I received several very nice gifts including a Bra fitting while we were shopping.  Never had one of those before.  Yesterday we did some filming at the Poultry festival in Leesville, S.C. and had some fun eating and talking about chicken and B.B.Q.   Also had the pleasure of riding a Bull which I'd never done before.  That was exciting and I hope my fans love it when the show airs.  I however didn't stay on along time, hard to hold on with just a rope and nothing else.  Any who everyone got to see me fall off.  Any who let's talk about mother's days my mom is no longer with me in body here on this earth she passed a few years back however I remember some of the things she used to do for us when we were little and one of them was she made the best Coffee Cakes in the whole world and some where around here I have her Applesauce Cake recipe that has been in our family for over a 100 years and I have it in her hand writing and I think its in my large recipe book but any who I remember that I came home from school when I was about seven years old and saw a strange looking Red Headed lady sitting on our couch with a little red headed baby in her arms which all turned out to be my baby sister Imogene and she was just a few days old but what was strange was that my mom's hair seemed to turn red after she had her.  Anyway I didn't know who she was when I came in the door but I knew my mom had to be there because I could smell her wonderful coffee cake cooking.  Strange the things you can remember as a kid or should I say how you remember them.  Imogene was the last sibling to be born in our family there were six of us and when we'd be running around it sounded like hundreds.  There were five girls and one boy and he was so spoiled by my mom when he was little.  Daddy always let him stand next to him in the front seat when we'd go driving on our Sunday afternoons.  That's when gas was cheap and there wasn't a whole lot for us to do on Sundays but get out and view the country sides and sometimes we'd go to the river and my daddy would cook for us on a opened fire.  It tasted pretty good.  We'd travel alot when I was a kid and for breakfast Dad would pull over on the side of the road where we could find a stream and we'd wash up and he would make breakfast on an opened fire in a skillet.  Boy was it good and the smell was worth the wait to eat.  Kind of like camping out but we'd sleep in the car then, we weren't very big and laying on each other didn't seem to bother us and besides if we complained my dad would give us the slap or make us get a hickory switch off the tree and it had better been big enough to use.  Any who it goes on and on with such as life with a man that made lots of money in his life time and running us up and down the road 3 or 4 times a year because he had a wild hair is what my mom used to say.  I don't know how she put up with him, LOL.  She was a saint in my opinion.  Well any who I made up thsi recipe to remind me of my mom who used to make the best Coffee Cakes in the whole world.  She also was one of the strongest women I ever knew.  She was a Wac in WW11 and worked secretly in Germany and was enjured and came home and married my dad on the boat coming back to America and she met him while she was playing poker with the men and daddy walked up behind her and started to tell her how to play poker and my mom told him that she didn't need a man to tell her how to play poker, thank you very much and then the race was on because there was another man very interested in her as well.  Any who Daddy won her heart with that cold black hair and good looking face. There is more to that story when my dad and mom were in boot camp in Ga. they arranged to have a baseball game with the girls, boys against the girls and mom and her whole group had gotten bored and bleached their heads and everyone of them were blonds so my mom was up to bat and my daddy saw here and told his buddy see the blond and his friends said which one they are all blonds and he said the one at bat, am going to marry her and his friend said Allen your crazy you don't even know her but daddy told him no but I will.  True story.  My mom also helped start the Women's WW 11 Momerial at Arlington. You can go in and look her up Jeanne Varney Newby was her name and when she died she how so many awards given to her from governors and the V.A., etc too many to list.  I lived in W.Va. at the time she was working on that.  She helped Veterans fight for their rights against the V.A.  In the 60's she had to have surgery at the V.A. hospital and when she found out their was not a ward for women only she went to work on that in Tulsa, OK  She kept her maiden name and had her own checking accounts at a time when women didn't do that kind of thing.  She and my dad were in business together their whole married lifes.  She handled the money and front office and my dad handle the back office departments.  Their are so many stories about her and people from their generation.   Any who its late and I have a lot to do tomorrow because I'll be at the Taste of Home show in Aiken and also getting ready for a shoot with my friend John Vaughn.  So let's write down a reicpe for this Apple Spice Cake.

Apple Spice Cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 dgrees and grease a Bundt Cake pan.

2 Sticks Butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose Flour
2 cups Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla 1/2 cups Buttermilk
2 Apples, peeled,diced
3 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp All-Spice
1/8 tsp Ginger
1 cup chopped Taosted Pecans

Cream buuter,sugar, and vanilla together.  Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and  baking soda together.  Add the beaten eggs and beat until well blended.  Add the cinnamon, ginger, and all-spice to the mix.  Add the flour and buttermilk alittle at a time until they are all mixed into the batter. Toss in the apples and toasted pecans.  You want the pecans toasted because it helsp release the oils in the nuts and adds very much to the flovor of your cake.  Bake this cake for at least an hour and ten minutes or until done.  All oven are different when ti comes to cooking you are teh best judge for your oven.

I hope you enjoy this cake and that all the mothers had a wonderful day.  Come like my fan page on facebook , Cooking With MadJon and Friends.  Watch the tV show at aikenstandard.tv and watch You Tube MadJon.  Happy trails to you until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment