Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy New Year With Blacked eyed Peas & Hungarian Coffee Cake YUM!

Hello to all you foodies out there in web land and this is MadJon saying I hope you have a very happy and healthy New Year to you and yours.  A big thank you to all my followers here on my Cooking With MadJon blog.  I hope you are enjoying the recipes that I put up and give them a try.   It is hard to believe that 2011 is just about to end and one door will close and another one will open for all of us.  Its like stepping out after a run and we get to do it all over again.  Fresh starts, you have to love it.  I don't know about you but 2011 was a pretty good year for me with more of my products going out the door and am starting my third season of the , Cooking With MadJon and Friends show.  I have had articles published on cooking and my recipes.   You have to love that.  Am also working on a few cookbooks which I can't tell you about as yet but very soon and I hope you all give them a great big try.  My hubby has had like two surgery's this year and it looks like we will be headed into 2012 with another one.  Please give a prayer out there in web land for us and we will be at MDA in Houston for awhile.  His in good hands.  If anyone out there would like to watch the shows and be a sponsor I say come on in and join us it will only cost you some money and you will get some business in return.  Let's talk about why we eat what we do on New Years Day.  Well we eat Black Eyed Peas for good luck and some Greens for money.  Like show me the money honey!  We did the TV show and made like Greens and some Hoppin John which by the way come from the slaves bought back from Africa.  Its Black Eyed Peas and Rice Mixed with onions and pepper.  Very tasty dish.  Any Who am going to give you a reuipe to make some Black Eyed Peas and also we are going to talk about a very easy and good Hungarian Coffee Cake that my friend Sylvia Berger said that she made and before I forget I want to thanks her for sharing this recipe.  I upped the cocoa amount from 1 tsp. to a 1 1/2 Tbsp.  This is a very good cake and everyone loved it.  So please give these two recipes a try and enjoy, Bona Y'all.

Blacked Eyed Peas

1 Bag Dried Black Eyed Peas
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Piece of Ham
Salt and Pepper to taste
Tabasco

Sock and cook the peas according to package directions.  Then to that you add the chopped onions, ham cut up, salt and pepper to taste, and a few dashes of Tabasco.  If you wish add about 1 cup of rice to the peas and some peppers and you can call it Hoppin John.  Also I like my peas creamy not watery when they are cooked.  You just cook them a little longer to reduce the water content.

Hungarian Coffee Cake

1 Box French Vanilla Cake Mix
1 Small Box Vanilla Pudding
1/2 Jar Apricot Jam
4 Eggs
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Oil
1/2 jar Chopped Cherries

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bundlt pan.  Mix the cake with the pudding, apricot jam, eggs, oil, sour cream, and cherries.  Blend well. Reserve and make the filling.
Filing:

1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp. Cocoa
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans

Mix the sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, and pecans together.  Then pour half of the cake into the pan and pour half the filling onto the cake mix and stir the batter with a knife and then top it with the rest of the batter and then pour the rest of the filling onto the batter and stir it with the knife like you are in a swirl pattern.  Bake the cake for about 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.

Well am going to go with my hubby to the ranch here in Texas and they will be roasting some oysters for New Years Eve.  I wish you all the best in 2012 and most important remember to take time to smell the Rose's is what my Momma used to say to me.  Love the one your with very much and give lots of kisses and hugs to everyone from me.  I hope all your wishes come true. Go see our new show at www.aikenstandard.com  Cooking With MadJon and Friends and view the recipes from the shows and go like my Fan Page on FB.  Come be my friend.  Send me some recipes to try at madjon51@aol.com .  Happy Trails to you until we meet again.  Eileen Hutson, MadJon.

No comments:

Post a Comment