Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Southern Fried Turkey for a Happy Thanksgiving Moist to eat

Hello to all you foodie friends out there in web land, I want to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving to you.  I hope all your travels are safe ones and all your memories are treasured ones.   As you know if you read my blog am off to DC to visit our boy's.  I love going to visit DC its so exciting.  We are going to be very busy and I've been asked to make my coconut cake.  Yum Yum, another Southern favorite.  Right now we are going to talk about frying a turkey.  If you have never fried a turkey for the holidays then you are in for a treat.  You have to make sure that it is nice and dry on the inside and outside of the turkey.  The oil needs to be about 300 to 325 degrees.  You need to cook the turkey for at least 3 minutes per pound.  Example the one you are looking at was about 10 pounds and we cooked it for about 30 minutes.  It was perfect, and moist.  You need also to remember when you drop the turkey into the hot oil you need to do it very slowly.  You need to also leave it sit out for about 45 minutes before firing the turkey.  Am going to write down a rub that you can use on your turkey and make sure that you lift up the skin on the breast and apply some rub and put some of the rub on the inside cavity and under the skin of the turkey.  You will like a fried turkey.

Rub:

1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 TBSP Cajun Seasoning
1 TBSP Dried Sage

Mix all ingredients and after you dry the turkey and right before you fry it, then you need to add the rub to the Turkey with your fingers and work it into the breast by rubbing the breast under the shin and if you want add some rub to the outside of the turkey, but not to much.  I also tie up the legs and wings of the bird. Remember when you dress a turkey make sure you wash your hands good and make sure that you clean up your work station with soap and water.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and have a very Happy Thanksgiving.  Come see my TV show at http://www.aikenstandard.com/ ASTV Cooking With Madjon and Friends.  Also come like me on Facebook.  Come view more recipes at http://www.aikenstandard.com/local/1120-go-eileen-hutson-thanksgiving-recipes--3582801.  Happy Trial to you until we meet again.   Eileen Hutson, madjon, madjon51@aol.com.

2 comments:

  1. Eileen,

    I appreciate your rub recipe for a holiday fried turkey. I wanted a fried turkey for Thanksgiving, but we chose the safe route of baking our ham and turkey.

    This month I am taking on the task of frying our turkey for the upcoming holiday. Your recipe looks simple and delicious!

    Many Blessings,

    Stacie Walker
    http://www.WomanInLeadership.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey I hope I replied to this comment? I thought I did may be facebook? Thx Eileen.

      Delete