Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What's Better Then Apple Pie

 Hello to all you foodies out there in webland.  Am back from a very busy day!!!  Last week my hubby was having surgery and today I had to go and have a few things done.  I need to eat more fiber can you imagine.  I had a very dear friend go and sit with me because my hubby can't drive for 6 weeks. His name is Tim and not only did he sit with me but he also did the pick up for my grands today.  That is a true friend.  Any who I asked him what kind of dessert could I make him for helping us out of a jam and he chose Apple Pie which is good because its so close to Thanksgiving you may want to add it to your menu. I also think that 2011 will be the year of the pie.  At  my Madjon's I sell alot of pies.  I won $100.00 and a trophy for one Apple Pie recipe.  Just for your FYI centuries ago they used pie crust like we use tupperware for their protectors.  At least it was all natural.

Apple Pie

Crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 stick butter plus 2 tabs shortening
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
3 tbsp sugar
5-6 tbsp ice water

Put flour, butter, salt, sugar in a food proscessor.  Then add the egg yolk (reserve the egg white), and water and blend till smooth.  Refrigerate for about 1/2 hour then roll out of a floured surface.  This makes 2 pie crust.

Apple Pie Filling

6-8 tarte apples cut in wedges
1 stick butter melted
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tabs flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 allspice
1/4 cup orange juice

Place all ingredients into a large bowl, mix til well coated and pour into pie shell and top with the other pie crust.  Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes.

I hope you like this recipe and add it to your collection.  I hope it brings back memories from your past Thanksgivings or family gaterings.  If  this is your first Thanksgiving together I say happy trails to you and yours until we met again.  Eileen Hutson, madjon.

No comments:

Post a Comment