Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fig Cake

Hello to all you foodies out there in webland hope all is well with you. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I'd like to share my Fig Cake recipe with you.  Its easy to make and very moist.  Did you know that figs contain something called Ficin which is a natural meat tenderizer.  Also did Eve eat an Apple or a fig?  She had a fig leaf.  I'll let you wonder about that.  I also have a fig story about my grandson and I going fig picking this summer.  Have you ever been fig picking, they make wonderful preserves.  If you go fig picking you need to cover your body.  Its really hot and you are in the trees.  You have to fight for the morsels against some pretty fierce june bugs.  They are all around your heads, in your hair, they come at you like they are dropping bombs. They even went down my blouse and boy was I doing the jig.  Any who after we harvested our fruit Jonathan and I were off to get some well deserved Ice Cream and back to the test kitchen. 

Fig Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecan
1 jar fig preserves
1 Cup Sugar

Preheat oven 350 degrees F.  Spray 9 -13 pan with oil.
In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients, set aside.
Mix oil, buttermilk, fig preserves, and eggs.  Add flour mixture, sugar and beat.  Then add vanilla and sour cream and mix.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Hope you like this recipe.  If you have any questions just email me at madjon51@aol.com.  Have a great day and am off to the store and to the cafe.  Happy Trails to you until we meet again.  madjon.

1 comment:

  1. Hello its madjon I don't know how to get back to posting that I forgot to add the sugar amount for the fig cake recipe. Add 1 cup of sugar. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete