Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Southern Fried Christmas Cheese Grits Ball's

Southern Fried Christmas Cheese Grits Ball's Northerners Gotta Try Them

Hello again to all you foodies out there in web land, its MadJon again, wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas season.  However, before I start I just want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the people of New town, Connecticut and the families of the victims.  I can't even start to say how you may feel.  All I can say is am very sorry for what has happened to you and yours.  Blessings to you during your time of need. 
Now do you know where grits came from? Well they came from the American Indian and they passed it on in the Colony days.  They come from dried Hominy and when ground they become our wonderful Southern Grits.  Which can be served with breakfast and buttered, boiled, pan fried, cheesed up and made into some wonderful South Carolina Shrimp and Grits.  I've also made a dish called Italian Shrimp and Grits. Which is one of my favorites.  When I did our Christmas show on the Cooking With MadJon and Friends set with my sister Imogene this year we made this recipe, which I liked.  However I decided they would taste better with some green onions cooked in the mix.  When I lived in Illinois we couldn't find these wonderful grits and when ever we went home to Texas we'd stock up on grits until our next visit.  My father was from Tennessee and we ate grits all my life however if you were from the North they never knew what a grits was.   My mom didn't know what grits were until she married my dad, come to think of it she hadn't eaten mush either, however she was from Connecticut.  I have heard people from up north say,"What the heck is a grits anyway"?  I hope this recipe helps introduce grits to you all. Any who I hope you give this recipe a try going down this grits road.  I also want to wish you the very best holiday season. Most of all enjoy your families you all. 

Fried Cheese Christmas Grits Ball's

Cooked 4 servings Grits, cooled
1 Egg, beaten
Onion Powder, 1 tsp
Garlic Powder, 1 tsp
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Green Onions, Chopped, 2 each
White or Yellow Cheese, 1 1/2 Cup
Jalapeno Pepper, 1 diced, no seeds, unless you want some heat
Panko Crumbs, 1 1/2 cups, to coat the balls

Cool your cooked grits.  In a bowl add your egg, spices, salt and pepper, green onions, cheeses, jalapeno, and mix until blended.  Roll into 2" balls and roll into the panko crumbs.  Heat your oil to about 325 degrees and cook balls on both sides until they are nice and brown and serve HOT.  Sever with your favorite sauce.
 This is my sister and I on the set of Cooking With MadJon and Friends Christmas shoot.  To watch the show go to www.aikenstandard.com ASTV 95 and the show is listed or go to my face book fan page https://www.facebook.com/CookingwithMadjon also I do have the Itunes MadJon Holiday e-cookbook out for your holiday menu needs.  Happy trails to you and yours until we meet again.  Eileen Hutson, MadJon.






No comments:

Post a Comment