Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

French Dressing or is it?


Hello to all my busy foodies out there in web land its MadJon again coming to you tonight to talk about one of my favorite things to mush on is a Salad.  Did you know that Salad Dressing have been around for about 2000 years and they used a mixture of Vinegar and Oil with some spices mixed in and some of the salads they would mix with the greens could have as much as 35 ingredients before the Royal Chefs finished their creations.  Now that's what I call a salad meal.  Did you know that Mayonnaise didn't show its debut until about 200 years ago by a French Nobleman's table, so I've read.  Prepared Salad Dressing didn't make their debuts until the 1920's.  Now did you know that French Dressing is a term used for different Salad Dressings in different countries.  I have some friends that travel a lot and in French if you ask for French Salad Dressing they tell you they only have American Salad Dressing.  A couple things I'd like to tell you about making a dressing is that the norm for the mix is always 1/4 cup Vinegar and a mix of 3/4 cup of Oil with spices thrown in and garlic of coarse.  Now in the United States and Canada their dressings have a sweet flavor.  I like it both ways.  By the way, when you mix a dressing you add the salt and spices with the Wine or Vinegar before you add in the oil  I like to shake it in a jar, I use nothing fancy, just a old mason jar with its lid and I shake up baby!  I do add some sugar or honey to the mix.  Now if am using a Lemon juice I mix it 1/2 and 1/2.  I like more of the lemon flavor to come out.  Am going to be going away for a few days so I'll be posting pictures on tweeter and Facebook and such and be talking to ya from there.  I hope to do some fishing and cooking of what we catch and we may even try some crabbing, there's nothing better then Blue crabs, corn-on-cob, and a ice cold beer to drink and pick all them there crabs with.  Yum Yum, its making me hungry and by the way Maryland does have the best Crab Cakes, baby you gota go try them, it will make your tongue want to lick your belly. I just made that up, tell me how you like that?  Also please I like to hear your comments and write me about any recipes I can help with.  They write me on Face Book sometimes and am glad to help them.  Bon'a Y'all.  Happy Trails to you until we meet again.

French Dressing

1/4 cup wine vinegar
mix with 1 tsp. Salt & 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
3 cloves minced Garlic
1 tsp. dried chives
pinch dried Tarragon

mix all ingredients and place in a jar
add to the mix
3/4 cup Oil

Shake it baby shake it.

Pour over your favorite greens.


No comments:

Post a Comment