Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Mother's Day May 11th Mom & Her Saying's Chicken Poop Planting

Hello foodies out there its MadJon again coming to you from a long day of working on our spring garden.  I drive with friends today to pick up some Chicken Poop in Blackville, SC.  While we were there we ate at Millers Bread and boy do they have some good bread.  They make a Honey Oat, Cinnamon, Rasin and today I bought some Butternut Bread and its very tasty.  They have been in that area with this bakery for almost 28 years.  Nice people.  They have a collection of antiques and foods.  They have great fried Chicken and Meatloaf.  Any who after the poop trip I went on to paint the trim on our outside doors and helped spread some poop for the garden and while my hubby is a engineer I think he really is from Mars because he got chicken poop all on the inside of my clean truck, I tell you I had some cleaning to do and he had some explaining to do.   Any who that's finished and now its to the blowing again and then the planting.  We are growing some Okra, pole Green Beans, Tomatoes, peppers, and onions that came from his grandmother so they are some old roots.  Well its getting really close to Mother's Day and I don't have my mom here any more with me but I do have her memories.  She was a good cook and I miss her, Baked Ham, Roast Beef on Sundays and I miss her Spaghetti Sauce.  Most of all I miss her quotes that she always used to keep up on our toes.  I can't remember all of them but here are a few, she was half French so we got a lot of those words like Sakli blye, she used that when she was excited.  You think your the Queen Bee around here, get back to work.  Its Lightening, the devil's beating his wife.  Beauty's only skin deep but use your beauty to your advantage if it helps get you in the door.  She grew up in the swing era so she sang a lot of swing songs to use.  She had a beautiful voice and sang a  Carnegie hall on the radio when she was a kid, more then once.  She also had a full scholarship in music before the war but choose to fight for her country instead of going to school.  She was stationed in Germany during WW11.  She was one of the Greatest Generation.  Kill them with kindness Eileen because you get more bees with honey then with sour grapes  She also said," It's better to be an old man's sweetheart then a young man's slave."  She would always say, " Stand up for what you believe, don't be such a coward.  Take time to smell the rose's, Eileen.  "You made your bed now lay in it."  When the moon was full she always said, full moon lots of babies being born or full moon the crazies will be out.  One of my favorites was," If your going to rob a bank Eileen, Just make sure you get enough money to make it worth going to jail for."    However I did have a Uncle Jim that went to jail for bank robbery but they never found the money and I heard it was a lot of that green stuff, we always thought that he gave it to his kids after he died.  Well I'd never tell if they did.   Shut the door were you born in a barn, she'd yell.  Another one that I can remember was we traveled and mover around a lot when we were little and every-time she'd see an old house standing by itself in a field, she'd say,"If only those walls could talk."  That's all I can remember for right now.  My dad had some sayings but some of them I could not say on the blog.  You could email me I'd tell you a few at madjon51@aol.com and if you have any questions about a recipe please ask me.  Come like my fan page on face book at, Cooking With MadJon & Friends or go watch the TV show at aikenstandard.tv  Am going to be giving you an recipe for Baked Ham but do your mom a favor please, cook for her or take her out to dinner, after all you wouldn't be here with out her help.  I say thank you to my mom for everything she did for me even the things that I thought she was wrong about.  After all kids don't come with a book of instructions when they are born.  You just do the best you can do and hope that your children turn out to be better then you are.  Happy Trails to you until we meet again.  Happy Mother's Day to all you mother's out there.  Hugs to you all.


Baked Ham


Glaze:

½ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Honey
1 tsp. Prepared  Mustard
 Cloves for ham top
1 can Pineapple Rings, drained
1 jar Maraschino Cherries
1 jar toothpicks
1 5-6 pound Ham

Directions:
1) Bake at 350
°  in a pre-heated oven.
2) Mix brown sugar, honey and mustard.   Place a few gloves on the outside of ham, insert into ham surface. Pour glaze mix on ham, then top with pineapple, cherries, and with the toothpicks to hold the cherries onto of ham  Bake for about 2 hours or until ham is tender.





No comments:

Post a Comment