Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Best Depression Comfort Food Banana Nut Bread

Well hi to all you foodie friends out there in web land, its MadJon again writing to you about one of the best comfort foods that I remember my grand mother baking and coming in the door the best smelling aroma there is to smell.  It also made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I couldn't wait to cut a piece and slab on the butter, yum, yum!  Any who I just made some today for a catering job coming up and am going to cut the loafs in slices and add a cream cheese filling with it.  Can't wait till they taste it.  I also added some cinnamon to the batter.  What's nice about Banana Bread is that its easy to make and you can add raisins, nuts or even some orange to the mix.  I've even made a Chocolate Banana Bread.  It came to be in cookbooks around the  1930's and it came about with the use of baking soda and baking powder.  The Banana itself is from a wild banana seed and its from like the Pacific and south east Asia.  Any who I say thanks so much for the banana its one of my favorite fruits to eat and isn't as expensive as most fruits.  Any who the best breads are made with really ripe bananas and the one's I used today were black in color.  So, are we ready for the recipe?

Banana Nut Bread W/ Cinnamon

1 stick and 1/2 stick Butter
1 1/2 cups Sugar
3 medium ripe Bananas, mashed
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups sifted Flour
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1 cup chopped Pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease two loaf pans with butter or spray.  Sift the flour with the salt and soda, set aside.  Melt the butter and mix it with the sugar.  Then mash your ripe bananas and mix it with the butter and sugar.  Then to that you start adding the dry ingredients to the mix and add your buttermilk till all your flour and buttermilk have been blended with the banana mix.  Then beat your eggs and add them to the mix and blend.  Add the cinnamon and vanilla and blend well.  Then last add the chopped pecans and you guessed it, blend well.  Pour into the loaf pans and bake in a preheated oven for about  1 1/4 hours or until done to touch or tooth pick comes out dry when inserted into the middle of the bread.

You will love this recipe and try it with some fresh coffee, yum, yum.  Please write me and tell me what you think of this recipe at madjon51@aol.com.  I love hearing from you.  Also go like my fan page on facebook Cooking With Madjon nd Friends.  Also come follow my blog. Come watch the TV show at http://www.aikenstandard.com/, ASTV 95.  Happy trails to you and yours until we meet again.  Eileen Hutson, MadJon

No comments:

Post a Comment