Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Claustrophobiac in Biloxi Welcome Spring Roasted Avocado & Asparagus Salad

Well hello to all my foodies friends out there in web land I hope all is well with you and yours.  Am sitting here in the great state of Texas again with my hubby waiting for his surgery.  So we have been visiting with relatives, cooking and eating a lot.  His surgery is going to next Tuesday the 28th so I will keep our fingers crossed, right now he has a fever and acting like his has a cold.  I hope not.  Any who on our way down here we stopped in Biloxi to gamble and westayed at a new hotel and the elevator works only witht he room key however if you didin't know how to read you'd be in trouble.   We get on the elevator and my hubby pushing the 5th floor and instead of stopping it just keeps going to the top of the building however the doors won't open and then he hits it again and now we end up at the bottom.  I'm claustrophobiac and I start yelling at him do something!  So we get to the 9th floor and the door opens and I jump out of the elevator and he says get back in here and I said no am taking the stairs and he says I have it figured out now you has to insert the key and I said I'll see you on the 5th floor.  No way was I getting back on that thing without knowing how it works, however by the time we went gambling it was all OK.  So I go gamble and my hubby goes back to the room and after I had lost all my money I go back to the room and my key will not work to get into the room.  So I try a few times and can not figure it out so I go to the desk clerk and he runs it under a machine then he says it will work now so off I go and get back into that elevater that doesn't work for me and go to my room and the key is not working.  I go back down stairs and the clerk comes back with me and he trys and the key is still not working.  He says you hubby has put the door lock on and that is why its not working.  So the rest is history.  However for your FYI I was stuck in a elevator in Atlanta at the mart and that was a trip.  By the time we got off of that trip the three people that were on it with me had just about taken all their clothes off.  It was so hot in there but that's another story.  This recipe am going to give you was in Southern Living  however I changed it some what.  I didn't like the Lemon Pepper they had used for their recipe along with a couple other changes I made.  So I just want you to cool the Asparagus before you top your salad.

Roasted Asparagus Avocado Salad

1.5 Lbs. of fresh Asparagus, stem ends removed
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Fresh Basil, finely chopped
1 Fresh Lemon
1 tsp. Salt
cracked Pepper to taste
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vineagar
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 Cup halfed Cherry Tomatoe's
1/2 cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
1/4 Cup Chopped Red Onion
1 head Bibb Lettace, torn into bite-size pieces
1 Avocado
1 packet Trivia
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder

Pre heat your oven to 425 degrees.  Grease a cookie sheet.  Clean and snap the tough end stems of your asparagus.  Place in a bowl.  To that you mix 1.5 Tbsp. of olive oil, 1/2 salt, 1 TBSP. Basil chopped, cracked pepper, and Juice of a 1/2 Lemon, no seeds.  Pour over the asparagus and mix.  Place on cookie sheet and roast in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for about 13 minutes.  When they are cooking remove from pan and let cool for about 12 minutes.
Now you are redy to make your salad and mix your dressing which is: Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, garlic, rest of the olive oil, basil,  1/2 tsp. salt, trivia sugar packet, onion and garlic powder, and the lemon juice.  Set aside.  Now take the toss the halfed tomatoes, onion and bell pepper mixture with about a couple TBSP. of balsamic mix and set aside.  The place the lettuce on a large plate, top it with the asparaus, and some of the tomatoe's that have been tossed with the dressing and add your sliced avocado to theplate and pour the rest of your tomatoe's on the sides and pour the rest of the dressing mix on top and sides of the salad plate.  Bona Y'all.

Hope that you enjoy this first spring salad and please come like my fan page on facebook "Cooking With MadJon and Friends".  Come watch and get recipes from ASTV 95, http://www.aikenstandard.com/.  Happy Trails to you until we meet again.  Eileen F. Hutson, MadJon.

No comments:

Post a Comment